Tuesday, 7 May 2013
Free Software
Useful or Useless
Useful or Useless
When deciding if "Free Software" is worth the bytes it is stored on, a big factor is the person recommending it. The information about various gadgets and must have software is the "drinking from a fire hose" situation. I do not have enough time to try and understand everything and have created various filters in my life to help with many decisions.
Unfortunately, I have often made the decision to not make a decision at the moment because the deluge of information has flooded my brain and totally confused me. The exponential expansion of free software has me wanting to not download or install anything.
The slogan, "WW _ D?" originally had a J in that blank but, depending on the situation, many different initials can be inserted to help me come to a conclusion before I become overwhelmed. My mother deals in refurbished antiques so if I am looking for home decor, she is who I listen to. I may need some building done in my yard, but will not make a decision until I talk with Lou. So when the professor talks about great software, I insert a "G" into the slogan for a great filter that will make the bytes on my laptop used to a higher standard.
So it was with confidence that I downloaded and installed C-Cleaner and Malwarebytes, not only on my course laptop, but also on my home computer(s). I have the main one done, but two others will be worked on this weekend because I have to finish my blog first.
I have found them to be user friendly and very intuitive. I am sure that many of my machines in the past were rendered problematic because of the digital clutter that I have difficulty throwing out (much like my house, but that is for another blog). The beauty is that it removes the junk that I am not even aware of without me having to know about it. "I am a digital hoarder!" Having this software sneak the junk out the back door without my knowledge is actually what I need. Like the decision to install software has often been delayed, the decision to get rid of clutter is also postponed until I have the time (which is never).
I do not have any experience with PC Decrapifier and therefore will not make any comments. All I know about it is that when I ask myself "WWGD?", I get the answer that I should uninstall it from every gadget I have. I understand the C-Cleaner will help me with this task.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I put ccleaner on my home computer too after class. I'd forgotten to re-install it after having to get a new computer after a harddrive crash.
ReplyDelete