Friday, 24 May 2013

Brandon Sun Publisher Sits at My Luncheon Table

This event has so much to do with eJournalism that I have to blog about it even if I preceed it with a "Name Dropping" warning.

The publisher of the Brandon Sun, Eric Lawson, was attending the Brandon University Foundation Annual Luncheon. Because of my late husband's association with this institution, I am sent an invitation as well. I am not too familiar with the members of this elite group of citizens so chose a chair at the edge and chatted with one of the clerical workers that I had dealt with. A nice lady approached the table and confirmed that the two seats on my left were still vacant. Out of the thirty to forty tables, Eric Lawson ended up at my table.

So the boring pre-meal socializing suddenly became interesting as we compared a few of the changes happening to Journalism from his point of view and my experiences in the course. He had come from New Brunswick and a job with the Irving newspaper group (part of Irving Shipbuilding and Irving Oil).

I was able to hold my tongue and not explain how upset I was about the loss of my paperboy who also played with my kittens and made sure I was up and dressed by 8:00 AM every morning so he could greet and cuddle the balls of fur.

His wife was also very interested when I explained the diversity of the students and how everyone is bringing a unique point of view to share with the rest of the class.

So, the publisher of the Brandon Sun has been made aware of the eJournalism course now offered at Brandon Unversity. Karma must have guided us towards the same table. How else do you explain our encounter?


No comments:

Post a Comment