Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Zoro to the Rescue

Okay, so I missed a couple of letters of Zotero, it has rescued me from the clutter of digital hoarding. Faster than a sword can slice the zed logo of Zoro, Zotero organizes my numerous sources of information. I have lots of information but can never remember exactly where I read, saw, or heard it.

Unlike Dr. Sheldon Cooper, I do not have an eidetic memory and must therefore rely on external memory devices. But the devices are only as good as the software that organizes the data. On my latest essay for Philosophy, the five citations took close to two hours to organize and insert into the paper. If I had Zotero running, it would have been minutes.

As soon as I arrived at my home computer, I installed the StandAlone, FireFox, and Chrome versions. The "Drug Trials" was researched in Google Scholar with the good results stored in Zotero. Although this was done on my home computer, the data is stored in the cloud so the links will appear on my laptop in class tomorrow (or next week or even next year), and any modifications I make there will beat me back to my home computer.

I may still be a digital hoarder, but at least now I will be able to find what I have because it will no longer be  cluttered into various virtual scraps of paper.

sources: http://www.zotero.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment